Saturday, October 25, 2008

Blogger of La Mancha

I will not allow myself to get too carried away in comparing my new adventure in blogging to the greatest knight's errant in history Don Quixote. Let it be known though that I would be honored if it were to be said my blogs were of such fine quality that even Don Quixote himself, who often said the sword is mightier than the pen, would have given pause when asked if my pen was not worthy of the sword of many a noble knight's errant. Like Don Quixote I am a single man and although I admire him for his devotion and loyalty to the peerless Dulcinea of Tolbiasa I do not believe I could live my life pining for one woman who I could never be with when there are surely many others who, while not near as beautiful or pious, would certainly be a suitable mate. For as Quixote's faithful squire Sancho Panza would say better a sparrow in the hand than a vulture on the wing. He would of course have strung together many more proverbs than I did and likely lost some of the meaning in his original point, but the point is still well taken. While I would of course like for this blog to be a rousing success and to give the spoils of victory to my friends such as Quixote's fame enabled Sancho to be governor of his own island, albeit it only briefly, I would be more than happy with a small but loyal readership. I may not be able to right all wrongs or to be as brave as Don Quixote was but if after reading my blogs there is even one reader of this blog whose life is affected in a positive way for even an instant than I will consider myself richer than the wealthiest lord in all of the known world.

This opening blog is of course a reference to the classic Don Quixote by Cervantes. I have not lost my marbles and decided that I am the reincarnation of said knight-errant. I recently read the book and enjoyed it and when prompted to supply a name for this site the first thing I thought of was to reference Quixote in some way. I initially thought of the blogger of the rueful figure in reference to his name the knight of the rueful figure, but although it may be a better name even I am not capable of that level of self-deprecation. That being said I realize this opening blog probably will have little meaning to those who haven't read the book and may mean little to some who have read it. So if you do not enjoy this initial blog do not despair as I plan to write many more blogs in the future on a wide range of topics so please have patience as I am only a novice in the blogging profession.

No comments: