Thursday, January 1, 2009

The Devil and Ryan Seacrest

Ryan Seacrest's career arch has been eerily similar to that of Dick Clark. He started off on some cheesy show with young singers that for some reason captivated America. Seacrest started with American Idol and Clark for those not familiar started with American Bandstand. Both later became a producer of a large amount of television shows and appeared on television roughly 20 hours a day. Seacrest is now poised to take over for Dick Clark, which means there are three possibilities for why this is happening. The first possibility is that Dick Clark recognized his potential and decided to mentor him knowing he would be a worthy successor to him. In this scenario Dick Clark is an aging television veteran who sees himself in the scrappy younger hard working Seacrest. This is of course not likely, but it is probably what most people believe. The next possibility is that it is similar to an old movie or tv show I once saw, possibly Tales From the Crypt, where the old magician switches bodies with the younger one. Now Seacrest is stuck in Dick Clark's old stroke-riddled body. This is highly likely. The third possibility is that even though Dick Clark is the Devil he needed an apprentice to take over eventually as people would start getting suspicious if Dick Clark was still hosting the Rocking New Year's Eve Specials in 3010. I don't know enough about his shape-shifting abilities to know whether he could just switch appearances rather than give his job to an apprentice. The third possibility overlaps somewhat with the other two as they all take into account that Dick Clark is either actually aging or that he needs to feign aging in order to convince everyone he is not the Devil. Maybe it is a combination of these scenarios or something entirely different than anything I thought up. Again all we can be sure of is that Dick Clark is the devil and Ryan Seacrest is his apprentice.

Full Disclosure: I originally included this post as an update to the bottom of my I Resolve to Be Less Lame post, but that post was really lame and it was likely this post would never be read by anyone so instead I have detached it from that retched steaming pile of a post and made it it's own post. It is a tribute to the Devil and Daniel Webster. If any of you aren't familiar with it they made a mediocre update recently called Shortcut to Happiness with Alec Baldwin as a fledgling writer who wished for success, Anthony Hopkins as Daniel Webster the attorney who would go up against the Devil in a courtroom to battle for the writer's soul and Jennifer Love Hewitt as the Devil. It could be that this is the exact scenario playing out with Ryan Seacrest and Dick Clark. I do not have all of the details. Of course I do not have any hard evidence that indicates that Dick Clark is the Devil and Ryan Seacrest is his apprentice so let's just say I was joking about all of the above and conclude that the initial scenario of the aging television veteran and the younger scrappy upstart is actually what is occuring. Of course I do not have the services of Daniel Webster as I did not sell my soul in order to attain more success with this blog as is apparent by my limited readership.

10 comments:

Bobby said...

At least Dick Clark has paid his dues and all.Ryan Seacrest is a wanker and if Dick is the Devil and intends to inhabit Seacrest's body,at least he'll finaly have a soul.

Blogger of La Mancha said...

Well he is the Devil so in the original agreement he would have taken Seacrest's soul thus explaining why he appeared to have no soul to you. James Brown on the other hand had soul and was superbad so he probably did not need to sell his soul for fame as the less talented Seacrest did.

Bobby said...

No...he never had a soul.Anyone who can keep that same plastic haircut for as long as he has must have an off switch somewhere.I don't think I've ever seen him show any emotion of any kind.God...I have to stop watching the idiot box.

Blogger of La Mancha said...

Well we will have to agree to disagree. But if you think about it since he has no actual talent or personality it is likely the only reason he became famous in the first place was due to selling his soul to the Devil, therefore you don't really know what he used to be like before said agreement with the Devil took place. This is the case in the movie version of the Devil and Daniel Webster and I suspect the original story as well. He is hugely successful writer, but all of the critics and the people he admires loathe his work and him.

Bobby said...

Your probably right,but you know me....arguing for arguments sake and all.

Blogger of La Mancha said...

Yeah that is funny I was thinking the same thing except in your defense I am arguing the case that Dick Clark is the Devil and Ryan Seacrest sold his soul to him so I think the burden of proof is my responsibility not yours.

Bobby said...

Since we can't prove that human beings even have souls,let alone that the devil exists,I think I'll relieve you of the burden of proof and just choose to buy your scenario.
We are now in total agreement....Dick Clark is the Devil and is preparing Ryan Seacrest to serve as his new flesh suit.

Nite Moves Boss said...

Perhaps you need to get out more?

Blogger of La Mancha said...

Hey you managed to make 10 disparaging comments on my blog today so maybe you need to get out more as well. Although the reason you probably had the time was because like Tyler Durden you only sleep one hour a night. Oh wait you have been sleeping since before I woke up today.

We'll see who has the last laugh when this blog is making 20k+ a month. Well maybe not this blog, but the next blog I do will. So my lack of a life will have paid off in valuable blogging practice.

Bobby said...

Steve...getting out more never did me any good in the past.I think I'll stick to sobriety even if it does make me a dull egg.