Tonight I watched the new two hour movie 24: Redemption. It has been about a year and a half since the show was last on. The new season starts in January. Normally I would not post about the show 24 as though I have watched the show since its inception it is not really one of the shows I passionately watch anymore. Recently I was talking to a friend of mine who told me one of the reasons she was glad she was not with her ex-husband anymore was that she was not forced to watch 24 anymore. I confessed that I watch 24 and she did not even have to torture me to get that information from me.
Somehow I was embarrassed to admit that I watch this show, but why. First it is important to realize when this show first came on it was really a major breakthrough for television. I am not referring to the trend that soon followed to hire famous actors whose careers had trended downward in recent years as there have not been many other similar success in recent years. What I am referring to is the production quality of the show. Every show was like a blockbuster Hollywood movie. Sure the scripts sometimes left a bit to be desired and they tend to leave a lot to be desired in the last few years. At this point many take for granted the number of quality shows that are on television, but if it weren't for shows like 24 and Sopranos most television shows would not bother to spend the money necessary to make shows that cost that much to produce. The trend was to make the cheapest show possible because people were watching shows like Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. Because of the success 24, Sopranos and a few others that I am failing to mention there are now more quality shows on than ever before. I am not saying 24 compares to the Sopranos because it doesn't, but it was critical to convincing television networks to take a chance on more higher-budget shows. It may be difficult to remember, but it was fairly original at the time to stage each show to occur in a one hour episode that took place in real time. The clock counting down as it went to commercial added additional tension to what was already an action packed show.
In recent years it has been used as a reason to justify torture by members of Congress and some television and talk radio hosts. I personally would prefer Congress to have a mature conversation about the issue of torture, but I am not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen. At this point I would be happy if they would at least read the legislation before voting on it. That's not likely either, but a man can dream. I am not sure if the friend who was referenced earlier in this posting is still in the habit of reading this blog. If she does still read it I would just like to say that I am sorry if my watching 24 has in some way altered your opinion of me. I was going to use as an excuse that although I don't condone torture it is a complex issue and Jack Bauer is a great American. I was also going to say how Jack Bauer and Peter Petrelli and Chuck Norris sometimes have to make tough decisions, but ultimately they are doing what they think is in the best interest of the American people. I changed my mind after seeing this clip which appears to be a deleted scene from the popular documentary the Goonies. Judge for yourself whether Jack Bauer sometimes crosses the line. Also it appears that even Jack Bauer is not always on the side of justice.
Hypocrisy in the U.S.A.
11 years ago

2 comments:
I'm pretty sure that modern television executives are involved in some in depth scheme to point out how idiotic and mentally deficient the American viewing public actually is, hence the existence of shows like "The Hills," which is pretty much a quasi-reality situation, one step removed from what might be actually considered typical reality TV--so much so that the "reality" is a pantomime of "reality" itself. Reality TV is cheap to produce, though, and the American viewing public is dumb, putting corporate suited executives in the position of some collective courtship, where you're routinely taken to an Applebee's restaurant and then expected to put out when the meal commences. And that's all well and good, but I think people should demand more of their courtships (err, getting taken to a Red Lobster restaurant, at least--or watching "24", which at least in your lexicon, might be the television equivalent of the Ground Round or however you say).
If you want some real marrow-pulverizing reality, turn on CNN for a first hand view of everything falling apart. It really gets the juices flowing, creating that first-rate sinking feeling, like looking over the ledge of a high-up precipice, and wondering about the jump off.
While I can't fully appreciate the idea of making courtships more difficult than they are already I can appreciate it in this particular metaphor. 24 is deeply flawed, but as long as you aren't expecting too much it can be kind of enjoyable.
24 is kind of like the Burger Barn at one point everyone was excited to see it coming to their town, but now there are many better restaurants that also have salad bars and real milk in the milk shakes.
Post a Comment