Thursday, December 11, 2008

It Does What It's Told

Tonight I watched the movie American Gangster. The movie was filled with a-list Hollywood actors such as Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe and Josh Brolin. I'm not here to write a review of the film or to discuss the aforementioned stars. I instead want to talk about the actor who played Detective Lou Tobac. His name is Ted Levine. He played a limited role in the movie and I didn't have a problem with his acting, but as soon as I heard his voice I was distracted for the rest of the movie. The problem is that in a previous role he played one of the most infamous and twisted characters in movie history. The character was so memorable that I had a hard time picturing him now being a law-abiding dectective. I am referring to his role in the Oscar winning film Silence of the Lambs. Everyone knows who Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster are and they have been in so many movies over the years, that even though they may be best known for their roles in Lambs, it is easier to suspend belief and pretend they are whatever characters they are playing at that particular time. Ted Levine however is not as famous and although his imdb profile suggests he has been in a number of movies I don't really remember many of them. He of course played Buffalo Bill the gender-bending serial killer who has since ironically become somewhat of an unintentional comedy legend.

I don't really have anyway of knowing how successful he has become because of that role or conversely how his success may have been hindered by the success of that role. Maybe he wasn't actually typecast as only being able to play gender-bending serial killers or maybe he wasn't blackballed, but my guess is that his success in playing one of the more memorable serial killers in the history of cinema has actually negatively affected his career. The character he played is still entrenched in popular culture many years after the film was released. South Park did a show where Butters and Cartman play a game called Lambs in the basement in which they re-enact the scene where he tells his victim to put the lotion in the basket. In the movie Clerks 2 Jay (played by Jason Mewes) does an eerily accurate impression of Buffalo Bill outside of the fast food restaraunt.

You often hear horror stories of former child stars who are typecast because of their earlier success. People assume because they played a bit part in some cheesy sitcom that they are incapable of acting in more demanding roles, Leo Dicaprio being a notable exception. I have seen movies and television shows where the premise of the show or movie is a former star having difficulty trying to find new work after being successful in a role playing a character who was widely admired. It seems to me it would be more interesting seeing how the public reacts to someone who was infamous for a character he played who made their skin crawl. Certainly there are probably some sociopaths who admire the Buffalo Bill character just as there are people who want to be Tony Montana or Tony Soprano. (I thought of just referencing Tony Montana but I thought there may be some readers who thought he was that redneck who is Hannah Montana's dad.) Aside from these people there are most likely many others who can appreciate the work of this gifted actor and I can picture some of the requests his agent receives on a regular basis.

Yeah Ted I'm sorry I don't have any new scripts for you. Yeah I know it is unfair, a producer just told me yesterday he thought you would make a great Santa Claus in that new Holiday movie, but he was afraid that parents would walk out of the theater upon learning Buffalo Bill was playing Santa Claus. Yes he realized that you didn't actually murder people and were only playing a character, but unfortunately a large portion of the viewing public has trouble differentiating fiction from reality. Yeah I know, but I did receive another request for you to dress up as Buffalo Bill for this party. Also I know you are hesitant to do that advertisement for the lotion company. They don't even want you to dress up as Buffalo Bill. I know how you feel about it, but they are offering good money and I think it may be time to start embracing these offers to reprise the Buffalo Bill character. Stallone still makes Rocky and Rambo movies. Bruce Willis continues to make Die Hard movies. Arnold made a Terminator movie a few years ago and still uses old lines from his movies in his Gubenatorial speeches. I think maybe you should lighten up about this a little. Maybe the cartoon where you star as the voice of Buffalo Bill doesn't interest you, but I don't understand why you can't do the lotion commercial or the occasional party where you do the Buffalo Bill dance or at least tell someone to put the lotion in the basket. Even OJ just decided to play the part of a defendant on trial again. I thought he would have been typecast as a football player too. Who would have guessed it would turn out this way. I know Hollywood is crazy. Alright at least do me one favor record this message for that celebrity voicemail service. It leaves the message after the beep or else it won't get a call back. It does what it's told.

No comments: