Friday, December 5, 2008

Lamenting the Commenting or Lack There of

There are exciting things in store in the near future that I am looking forward to officially announcing. At the moment though the blog has hit a bit of a lull and I will take some of the blame as I know the blog has not been as good as it could have been. That said I think the brunt of the criticism should go to the readers of this blog. Some of you don't visit it often at all and when you do you roll your eyes and fail to even add a comment. Seriously you have to start putting a little more effort into this blog. This blog is not about me it is about you. When I continue to post without getting any feedback either positive or negative I begin to lose interest in posting. Sometimes I feel like more people would read the blog if it was a private diary I kept locked under my bed. I understand if sometimes you don't have anything to say or maybe what you have to say isn't nice so you listen to the advice your parents gave you and decide not to comment at all. So my idea is if you don't have anything to say, but you want to show that you are at least reading the blog it is acceptable to simply post a comment saying present. There were many days in school where I didn't want to participate in a class discussion, but participation was mandatory. It causes resentment and I don't want my readers to resent me. So now it is time to check the attendance. Is there anybody out there? Bueller...Bueller...anyone?

9 comments:

Nite Moves Boss said...

Truant.

Blogger of La Mancha said...

Bueller!!!!

Ryan Kemp said...

I have this theory that people don't read anymore, and when they do it's short blips, like those little informational bulletins they run across the bottom of your TV screen when your school closes because it's bad weather outside. The internet is cool because it allows for the free-flowing (sic) dissemination of information, and that's all well and good, but I'm pretty much sure it's all usurped by the fact that you can buy consumer items on there, like a home shopping mall. Or watch your favorite TV show, or whatever.

So I wouldn't feel bad about people not reading your blog. Or about people not commenting. It would be tantamount to actual motion and movement, and it is the holiday season and all.

Blogger of La Mancha said...

I have read many books this year and at least three of them I would highly recommend, but I understand what you are saying. I think a site about titty bars, providing it has pictures of the female clientele, would have a much bigger following.

Ryan Kemp said...

yeah, i totally plan to get in on that blog. can't wait. . .

Ryan Kemp said...

wait: what books did you like this year?

Blogger of La Mancha said...

The Road by Cormac McCarthy (He wrote No Country for Old Men also), The Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, and Don Quixote by Cervantes. I'm reading another book by McCarthy now which is not as good as the Road. Have you read anything of note this year?

Ryan Kemp said...

I think I saw that dude on Oprah once (McCarthy). He was yammering about joblessness and not having anywhere to live. It made me think i should check him out.

The last good book I read was called "Mergers and Acquisitions," by Dana Vachon, about wealthy young Manhattanites- sort of in the vain of "Bright Lights, Big City" or early Brett East Ellis novels. You could probably find it at the library or whatever.

Blogger of La Mancha said...

I don't have a library card. I should probably look into getting one.

The Road is very bleak and some people didn't like it because of the harsh tone of the book, but I ultimately saw it as inspirational. Some people will not enjoy any book that does not have a Hollywood-style happy ending or that has subject matter of a grim nature. I can understand that to a certain extent. If the book had no redeeming qualities at all and was utterly depressing in every way I would not recommend it, but I think it is well-written and has a good message at the heart of it all. I can let you borrow it if you are interested.

They are adapting the book into a movie next year. It will be interesting to see if they change the story to make it more palatable for a mass audience.