These movies are listed in the order I thought of them and in no way is it an indication of which one is my favorite as they all have a special place in my heart. I would also like to mention that I have for the most part stopped watching the old Christmas cartoon specials and I will never under any circumstances watch the Hallmark movie Christmas specials. With that said I will now unveil to you the Christmas movies that are a must watch for me every year.
The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
Before anyone asks me which Grinch movie I am referring to let me be clear to me there is only one Grinch movie and it does not star Jim Carrey nor is it directed by Opie or Richie Cunningham. I think of all the movies on my list this is the most likely to eventually drop off my list of must see Christmas movies, but it doesn't really feel like Christmas unless I have seen the Grinch sledding down the mountain with his cute-goofy-looking dog/reindeer.
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
It is probably not as good as the original National Lampoon's Vacation, but it is clearly superior to the European or Vegas Vacations that the Griswold clan probably should have kept as a home movie and not released to the public. Also I have been watching it for years with my brother so for nostalgic reasons I look forward to watching it every Christmas season. That is of course a general theme in this column.
Scrooged
Scrooged is one of many movies I can think of off the top of my head that would likely have been easily forgettable if someone else starred in the lead role instead of Bill Murray. Just imagine if Robin Williams, Dan Akroyd or some other 80's comedian starred in this movie. Actually maybe Steve Martin would have been good in this role, but you get the point.
A Christmas Story
The movie is still humorous after all these years and is pretty subversive for a holiday classic. I don't think there is a movie that better captures what it is like to be a young kid during the holiday season. Ralphie desperately wants the Red Rider bb gun, but being a kid he has no control of whether he will receive it or not. He has to listen to adults tell him how dangerous the gun is and of course the Little Orphan Annie secret decoder ring is a huge disappointment. He is forced to wear bunny pajamas because he got them as a gift from his aunt. All of these misfortunes will be worth it if he gets the bb gun for Christmas. If by some miracle you have not seen this movie yet it is played around the clock on Christmas every year on TBS.
It's A Wonderful Life
Surprisingly this is only a recent addition to my holiday must see list. If you have never see it before because it appears to be a boring old sappy Christmas special. Well it is old and sappy and of course things turn out well in the end, but it is not boring. Every year I am surprised to remember how funny it is and also how unlikely it is that a movie with such a controversial subject matter ever became the most beloved and popular holiday classic. It truly is a Wonderful Life, but it is not all hot cocoa, chestnuts and sugar plums along the way. This is of course a message that is applicable not only on the holidays but year round.
Future Additions to the List?
I don't believe there are any obvious omissions in my list of my favorite Christmas movies. There is only one recent movie that I can see possibly making it on to the list in the years to come. That movie is Bad Santa. It is raunchy and politically incorrect, but ultimately like most holiday movies it has a sweet message wrapped inside it of that gruff exterior. It will take years of repeated viewing in order to make the list as that is the point of a beloved holiday classic. It helps to get you in the Christmas spirit because it reminds you of past Christmases when you sat around and watched it with family and friends. As always I encourage anyone who reads this to comment about my list or maybe give a list of your own. Unfortunately I had to omit Born on the Fourth of July starring Tom Cruise which is a great holiday movie which gets everyone in the Fourth of July holiday spirit, but this is a list of my favorite Christmas Holiday movies or specials not a list of holiday movies as a whole.

6 comments:
You do realize that you can't have Christmas until you've watched Chuck, Linus, Lucy, Snoopy, and the gang learn the true meaning of Christmas while listening to the groovy beats of the Vince Guaraldi Trio, right?
Just wanted to point out one other thing... The title of the 1966 special was "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" not "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas". "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas" was the Dr. Seuss book. Not sure why the movie was titled differently. Not that it matters much, but I just wanted to make you aware...
I won't be lectured on Christmas by someone who had never heard What Christmas Means to Me by Stevie Wonder.
I am watching the Grinch as I am reading your comments it is on the cartoon network so I can confirm what you said as it lists it as Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas. When I searched for it on the cable box info guide last week under g for grinch it wasn't there. Of course if I had searched under h for how it still wouldn't have been there because it listed Dr. Seuss first. I now will be able to watch all 5 movies on my list this week.
Bad Santa is on comedy central @ midnight on Christmas Eve and 3 and 8 pm on Christmas day. I think the 11 pm on Christmas eve is the way to go as sometimes they play uncensored versions of movies late at night on comedy central. You don't want to watch that movie censored.
I meant to say that Bad Santa was on Comedy Central @ 11 pm Christmas eve not Midnight.
Before you mention Gremlins or Die Hard I don't really consider those Christmas movies they are just movies that happen to be set during Christmas.
I haven't watched the Charlie Brown special in years so it would not make sense to put it on my list.
"Trading Places", w/ Eddie Murphy is awesome because it articulates the proletariatian struggle and division of wealth in this country but also, quite obviously, because you get to see Eddie Murphy dressed up in a Santa suit. I think you left this one out.
I haven't seen that movie in years so I wouldn't list that as one of my top 5 Christmas movies. If anything Gremlins would beat that out for eighties movie that I don't think of as a Christmas movie, but takes place during Christmas time.
Post a Comment