The most surprising performance in the movie belongs to Tom Cruise. I had heard through the grapevine that he had a cameo and that it was amazingly funny and unlike anything Tom Cruise had done before. I don't want to give anything away that will ruin it for those who haven't seen it so let me just say that he was even better than I had heard he was going to be. Everyone knows he is crazy in real life, but he shows here that given the right material he can do comedy really well and also that he is willing to make an ass out of himself which I would not have expected. Well he generally does that anytime he does an interview, but the video on Youtube about his views on Scientology and his erratic behavior on Oprah were unintentional comedy. Pretty much everyone else in the movie was good including Danny McBride (Pineapple Express, the Foot Fist Way ) who is not well known yet, but has been good in all three of the movies I have seen him in. The one minor exception was Jack Black. He was not terrible, but other than the fake trailer of his movie at the beginning which was good, his character was a bit of a miss or at least when compared to everyone else. There are tons of cameos in the movie none of which are comparable to Tom Cruise's hilarious cameo. It was a great surprise that this movie beat out Pineapple Express as my favorite comedy of the year. I was a huge fan of Pineapple Express and it was a really funny movie, but it did not have nearly as many moments where I found myself unable to control my laughter. If you are easily offended or are overly politically correct maybe this is not the movie for you, but for everyone else I highly recommend it.
Hypocrisy in the U.S.A.
11 years ago

2 comments:
Sorry, Pineapple Express was slightly better. But Tropic Thunder was definately worth seeing. I would say if anyone has seen it and didn't find a scene they were laughing at they probably had their funny bone removed after some freak accident. This was another example of a producer and director that set out to make a specific film and that's what they released. I still find it amazing that "Simple Jack" got more bad press then Kirk Lazarus. What is the world coming to? And is it a good thing?
Well Ryan said something to me about being surprised that I liked Tropic Thunder he didn't elaborate about whether this was because he wasn't a big fan, but that is what I figured he meant so maybe he had his funny bone removed in some sort of freak accident.
I loved Pineapple Express, but Tropic Thunder was hilarious. Robert Downey is a genius.
Really they did get upset at Lazarus for saying you don't go full retard, but what they failed to realize is they were satirizing Hollywood and how shallow it is and not making fun of retards.
Post a Comment