I was not too excited about watching either of the New Year's Eve Specials as the choice was either Miley Cyrus on MTV or Dick Clark's special hosted by Ryan Seacrest on MTV. I reluctantly went with Dick Clark and was frightened upon turning it on to see Miley Cyrus, but I realized it was a commercial for Disneyland or something like that. So at least I did have a decision after all rather than choosing two different specials with Miley on them. It quickly got worse though as the screen soon showed Ryan Seacrest, the Jonas Brothers, Lionel Ritchie and various other untalented pop stars with whom I wasn't too familiar. Also along with Ryan Seacrest they had this ditzy blond American Idol reject named Kelly Pickler interviewing the crowd and she provided the only slight laugh of the night for me when she said I love you Dick. Yeah I know I am easily amused. I only watched it for 10 minutes just to see the ball drop and no that was not some sort of puberty joke about the Jonas Brothers. Not that it matters if their balls drop because supposedly they are saving themselves for marriage. If that is true they are going to be kicking themselves someday when they are washed up 40 year olds on some sort celebrity rehab show. As much as I don't like them I hope for their sake that this is a publicity stunt and they are really hooking up with all sorts of groupies.
So obviously based on the contents of this post so far on this particular New Year's and also for far too much of the past year I did not lead too exciting a life. My 2009 resolution is to be less lame in the coming year. Next New Year I need to go to Vegas, Prague, Montreal or at the very least Boston. I was a little depressed thinking that 79 year old Dick Clark in the studio was more drunk than I was sitting in my house as I had only had one beer so far. Of course I knew he was not drunk, but had recovered from a stroke a few years earlier which makes me a jerk I guess, but I think there is a possibility that Dick Clark is in fact the Devil. I thought he was close to 100 a few years ago and before he had the stroke he seemed to have eternal youth. Obviously I seemed to have been off by a few years and the stroke seems to disprove my theory. Of course the greatest trick the Devil ever played was making the world believe he didn't exist or something to that effect.
The sad thing is I still had that show on in the background and I actually kind of enjoyed this guy named Neyo's performance I think it was because I was expecting it to be one of the wonderful performers I talked about earlier and it was a relief when it turned out to be someone other than the Jonas Brothers. I just got another beer and now the Pussycat Dolls are on. Ryan Seacrest said something about them being able to sing and looking good. If it wasn't for the fact that they were females I would think he was hitting on them. Maybe if he had said it about the Jonas Brothers that would have been his reason. The lead pussycat (pictured below) dates Lewis Hamilton the champion race car driver from Formula 1 and she is attractive and exotic looking, but to say she is a good singer is not entirely honest. In fact I think it is possible the Pusscat Dolls are less talented than the Spice Girls. I had to quickly turn the channel when some terrible act named Jesse McCartney came on after the first note I changed channels and realized there was a third show on NBC hosted by Carson Daly. He is not my favorite but I would have chosen him over the other two if I knew I could have. His show ended as soon as I turned it on. Good times.
So next year my plan is to kick some ass beginning with the blog. This post is not included because I started it before midnight. So it is allowed to be lame thankfully. Unfortunately I am usually horrible at following my resolutions. Last year I resolved to be a millionaire this year, but obviously that didn't happen. I am closer to being a hundredaire than a millionaire. Should old acquaintance be forgot and never brought to mind. Celebrate good times and other such songs of joy do nothing to lift my spirits. Even the joker who has a perpetual smile was unable to cheer me up. I received 2 text messages wishing me a happy New Year and one of them was from a # I did not recognize so either it was someone I know using a different number than I have them listed at or it was a wrong number. I cheerfully wished them a happy New Year anyway and I will do the same to all 3 of you who make it to this end of this woeful post. Hopefully the picture of the singer from the Pussycat Dolls kept you interested otherwise I am sorry and I hope your New Year's Eve was significantly better than mine. At the very least I resolve to get drunk next year if I end up sitting at home by myself at least then maybe my blog will be more interesting.

6 comments:
I watched the same crap and couldn't help but think that I've become quite boring and predictable,even if sober and somewhat sane.
The Jonas brothers are 'shite' as they cannot sing live.Fucking-A man,nice threads and a pretty face must be all it takes these days...the studio will do the rest.
It's times like this that I actualy miss being a drunkin lunatic.At least than I could be sure I wouldn't have watched the crappy Jonas Brothers chirp and Dick Clark dying on live T.V.
I've had as good a time staying local for NYE as I have traveling to far off lands to ring in the new year. It is all a state of mind and a conscious choice we make whether or not to enjoy ourselves. Whether I'm sitting at home, at a friend's house, at a local bar with my usual gang of friends, or halfway around the world on stage dancing with 2 dozen half naked Czech women, I've always found a way to enjoy what I was doing and to live in the moment. The people that complain about the unfair breaks life has wrought upon them are just making excuses for their own lack of will to get out there and live their lives. I was once one of them and had to work very hard to rehabilitate myself into being a happy social person. I know people that literally sleep 12 hours or more a day. I've tried to point out that with a life expectancy of nearly 70 years they will have only been conscious for 35 of those years. Personally, that just isn't enough living for this guy. So give up sleep for New Years. Even if you spend the wasted time watching really bad movies you are freeing up the rest of your day for something more important and/or enjoyable. I try to make it a point to not sleep more then 5 or 6 hours at a time just in case I may be missing something that later I will wish I was able to witness. I'm not sure that this works for everyone but I see no reason for everyone not to at least try it. Unless, of course, you operate heavy machinery. Then you are exempt and carry on with your sleep as it will certainly extend your life expectancy over operating said heavy equipment in your tired state. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make my friends is this, don't think that life is this complex problem that only a few people are born with the cheat sheet for. It isn't about where you spent your New Year's Eve or what pitfalls you have had to overcome to succeed in life. It's about being willing to look in the mirror every day and decide that you are willing to do the work it takes to get where you want instead of the work it takes to get by. Celebrities are celebrities because they sacrificed to get there. Even the ones we hate the most worked harder then we did. So ask yourself one last time, how bad do you want it?
If you want it and you need it, then the miracle can happen to you. It can happen to you, but you've got to get greedy for it, etc.. (Bill Murray Scrooged)
Well if you can't fully appreciate dancing on stage with hordes of half-naked czech girls than perhaps you have become jaded. That said I have not complained about a bad hand dealt to me. If anything my complaint would be that I have played the cards poorly and thus I am sitting around feeling sorry for myself. My point was that I don't want to sit around feeling sorry for myself next New Year.
I think it is naive to think all celebrities sacrificed to get where they are today. I'm sure many of them did, but that would be like saying all Presidents sacrificed and worked hard to become Pres, but I can think of at least one who basically became Pres because of his family name. From what I hear Seacrest is a tireless worker so maybe he did, but many are just born better looking or with better connections. That said those little Jonas Brother mfers and Miley Cyrus are constantly on tour or performing which is why they will all be on Celebrity Rehab someday with the other original American Idol co-host.
Also I have seen you sleep for more than 24 hours on many occasions.
The old me slept for 24 hrs. I have seen the folly of my ways. Now I see it takes hours of work to reach the top. Remember that I worked 360 days in 1999... Sure some celebs get discovered for their looks but then there are the Seth Rogen's of the world. The Rodney Dangerfield's, The Paris Hilton's... well maybe not her. But any athlete, writer, actor, singer, etc that is well known was once working hard to get well known. If someday I run 20 clubs around the globe it is only because I spent 7 days a week working at my first club to get the chance. And just for the record... not all my comments were meant in a disparaging manner.
I would never say that you don't work hard as I have seen how you hard you have worked over the years. My point is that not everyone who becomes famous or successful worked hard. Many of them did, but the difference between making it and not making it is not always that one worked harder than the other there are many other factors such as luck, talent, connections. Certainly ambition and initiative are huge factors, but sometimes talented hard working people never get the opportunity. I'm not saying I am hard working or talented either it is a general point I was making. Also I was not that upset about the comments either as evidenced by my watching the Celtics etc w/ you yesterday.
Certainly many talented people will never be famous. But most famous people are talented and hard working. There will always be exceptions to the rule (Paris). But if you are to stereotype then hard work pays off. When they asked Michael Phelps what was the difference between him and everyone else he said that he swims 7 days a week instead of 5 like his competitors. That the extra work he put in made him the best. But I also have very talented friends that have yet to get discovered. As long as they keep trying they have a shot. As soon as they sit back and stop they have almost no chance. I think if I once had a point that this was the point... It's an old quote that makes a lot of sense. The harder I work it seems the luckier I get.
Post a Comment